Takeshi Kaneshiro
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Takeshi Kaneshiro

Takeshi Kaneshiro san! *** 金城 武 さん!

HomeTakeshi Kaneshirofriends of the siteLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mikomijade
Admin - your Sith and Jedi Master
mikomijade

Female
Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2007-06-08

Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards Empty
PostSubject: Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards   Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 8:27 pm

Ok I put this article here, but I would like you, people to be gentle on that
Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination disqualified from film awards
the article itself link
Quote :
Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination disqualified from film awards

November 1, 2008 by Dennis Amith

Takeshi Kaneshiro continues to be one of the more well-recognized faces in Asian cinema and was in a possible running for special prize honoring local talent for the Golden Horse Film Awards in Taiwan.

But the actor’s nomination was disqualified because although he was born of a Taiwan mother and Japanese father, he is a Japanese citizen.

According to a quote on Japantoday.com, the organizers of the film awards commented, “The jury is not sloppy in the nomination process … although we revoke Mr Kaneshiro’s nomination, we still acknowledge his achievement in Chinese cinema,” they said in a statement defending the move.”

In major I was confused by the content and for a long time did not want to put it here. but I this that is strange that Chinese actor is disqualified from the Chinese film awards for not bein Chinese?
Call me a scandalist but that sounds strange.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Jedi Master of the Council
Jedi Master of the Council

Female
Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards   Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 8:22 am

I agree...seems like he will never get the recognition that he deserves.
Back to top Go down
Ognyana
Sith Moderator
Sith Moderator
Ognyana

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards   Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 9:11 am

As far as I understood from the newspaper articles, the problem is that this award is Taiwanese (and not Chinese). Only citizens of Taiwan are eligible for the award. As far as I understood, though TK was born in Taiwan and his nationality is Taiwanese, he holds Japanese citizenship. So formally they had some reason for disqualifying him. But honestly speaking, I think it just a pretext for the disqualification, no more. How you can say that a man born of a Taiwanese mother is not Taiwanese is beyond my understanding. Frankly speaking, I must be an ignoramus, but TK seems to be the ONLY Taiwanese actor whose name is world-famous. And bingo - out he goes! As I said, an incomprehensible and unfair decision.

Chinese is not absolutely the same as Taiwanese, at least continental China has always claimed Taiwan as part of its territory, and the USA and China are still the two major powers that brawl over Taiwan, China wanting it back, the USA supporting its independence.
If you are interested in a concise history of Taiwan to see the roots of Cinese-Taiwanese tension, consult the corresponding Wiki page.

What worries me more is that he is not among the nominees for the upcoming 28th Hong Kong Film Award, which seems to be more geographically open-minded. I wonder, is it because it's rumoured he's been at difference with John Woo over how to interpret the part of Zhuge Liang?

Once again, I must be an ill-informed person, but imdb.com lists NO awards for TK AT ALL. I believe that scores of worse actors keep receiving awards, but not he. WHY?

Unfortunately, our opinion does not count anywhere. And I think that to do him justice, he's not just a nice face on the screen (an eye-candy, as the film reviews say), he's much more. He's a talented actor because he's different in all the parts he plays, he has a presence, he is a personality on the screen. Maybe, he's not Dustin Hoffman in 'Rainman', but has anybody offered him anything as deep and as difficult? Anyway, we remember most films he was in THANKS to HIS acting, thanks to what he made of his characters.

I hope he will remain himself, 'his own man', won't be discouraged (the world is on the whole an unfair place), and will keep doing what he's doing now. Let him shrug it off, he's one of the best actors now living.

Though Samanosuke Akechi writes he's been nominated indirectly (for the movies he's been in), I think it's high time he were nominated personally.
Back to top Go down
mikomijade
mikomijade

Female

PostSubject: Re: Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards   Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 9:50 am

Teresa, well, he has recognition from us Wink

Ognyana, the article doe not say anything about only Taiwanese citizenst to participate but what I have found about that award is interesting, 'cause if the link is correct on the ideas of the award ceremony - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horse_Film_Awards, that means that he is really unjustfully diqualified and most of all for some political reasons.
quote that:
Quote :
The Golden Horse Film Awards (traditional Chinese: 金馬獎; pinyin: Jīnmǎ Jiǎng) are modeled after the Academy Awards and major film festivals worldwide. The awards, contested by submissions from Taiwan, Hong Kong, People's Republic of China (PRC) and elsewhere, are generally thought to be the most prestigious for Chinese-language films outside the PRC.

Winners are selected by a jury of judges in the week leading up to the ceremony. Winners are awarded with a Golden Horse statuette during a broadcast ceremony.

and
Quote :
Under current regulations, any film made primarily in a Chinese language is eligible for competition. Since 1996, a liberalization act allows for an artist or film from mainland China to enter the Awards, mainland artists or films has won several time, such as Jiang Wen's In the Heat of the Sun, Best Actor award was won by Xia Yu (夏雨) in 1996, Joan Chen in 1999, Best Actress for Qin Hailu (秦海璐) in 2001 and Kekexili: Mountain Patrol in 2004.

I know that is a messy kind of quote but anyways that shows some ideas that people from the jury really take the rules under some if not changes but confuse of the rules. If an actor as like as the film itself is made in China and the actor acting in the film speaks chinese in the film and is Chinese (I do not thisnk that his citizenship gets into contradiction here but that is only my IMHO) he is concidered for the nominie and they actually did that to TK. But for some reason according to the article declined his award.
Back to top Go down
Omkasia
Jedi
Jedi
Omkasia

Female
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards   Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 11:07 pm

How sad scratch ... May be they knew that he will take awards, and were scared that to another will not get tongue
Back to top Go down
mikomijade
mikomijade

Female

PostSubject: Re: Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards   Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:55 pm

Omkasia, heh))))) lol
guess that was the reason))))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards   Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Takeshi Kaneshiro nomination in Taiwanese film awards
Page 1 of 1